The DAAD Leadership for Africa Master’s Scholarship Programme aims to support the academic qualification and advancement of young refugees and national scholars from Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia and South Sudan at higher education institutions in Germany.
In times of conflicts and displacement in various African countries, this programme intends to contribute to the education of future leaders, who will be essential for the reconstruction and / or further development of their home countries.
“Leadership for Africa” offers scholarships for studies in Germany to qualified applicants in all fields of study with the exception of public health, medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, law, the arts and architecture. All “Leadership for Africa” scholarship holders benefit from a complementary study programme in good governance, civil society and sustainable project management. The mandatory programme with several attendance phases each year has to be completed in addition to the regular studies.
DAAD Leadership for Africa Master’s Scholarship Requirement
1) Highly qualified refugees who hold refugee status and fulfil the necessary qualifications for Master’s studies in Germany.
Applicants must fulfil the following conditions:
Holding refugee status in their host countries, being granted before 17.05.2021
Country of asylum has to be either Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan or Tanzania
Completed Bachelor’s degree at least at the time of arrival in Germany.
2) Highly qualified graduates from Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan or Tanzania.
Applicants must fulfil the following conditions:
- Citizenship of Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan or Tanzania
- Country of residence is Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan or Tanzania at the time of application
- Completed Bachelor’s degree at least at the time of arrival in Germany
- Successful completion of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree which qualifies to study for a master at an officially recognized university in Germany
- A Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science degree of at least 2nd class upper division level is required
- As a rule, not more than 6 years should have passed since the completion of the last academic degree
- Good English or good German language skills
- Notification of admission from the German host university for the desired master study programme;
Please note that the applicant itself is responsible for ensuring to apply for admission at the host university by the due date.
If notification of admission or the application process itself is not yet available at the time of application, it must be subsequently submitted before the scholarship-supported study begins.
A Scholarship Award Letter from the DAAD is only valid if you have been admitted to a master study programme at a public German Institute for Higher Education.
Application Deadline: July 2nd 2021
The scholarship includes:
Language course (2-6 months) in Germany before the start of the university studies
M.A. or M.Sc. degree programme completed at a state or state-recognized university in Germany
Accompanying side study programme (mandatory) in good governance, civil society and sustainable project management. This has to be completed in addition to the regular studies.
Duration of the funding
Generally, selected candidates will start their German language course in April 2022 and take up their M.A. or M.Sc. studies at a German institution of higher education by October 1st, 2022. The duration of funding is determined by the standard period of study of the chosen program.
In general, Master’s programs require two years of full-time study.
- If necessary: Language course (2, 4 or 6 months) in Germany before the start of the study programme including the coverage of the test fees for a German language certificate
- Accompanying study programme
- Monthly scholarship rate payments of 861 EURO
- Adequate health, accident and private/personal liability insurance in Germany
- Travel allowance
- One-off study allowance
- If applicable, family allowance and monthly rent subsidy
DAAD Leadership for Africa Master’s Scholarship Programme Selection
A pre-selection will take place based on the submitted application documents.
Preselected candidates will be invited to an interview with an independent selection committee of university professors in Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan or Tanzania.
Please note: Preselected candidates must present originals of all previously submitted documents at the interview.
In addition to previous achievements in school and university, language skills and the general motivation, the main selection criterion is a convincing description of the planned studies in Germany.
Equally important will be a reflected answer how the chosen academic field can contribute to the further development of the home country.
As a general rule the candidate‘s personal appearance for an interview is a requirement for the award of the scholarship.
The journey to the place of the interview is at the candidate’s own risk. Travel costs have to be covered by the applicant.
Due to the ongoing Covid19-pandemic the DAAD will make an exception to the rule and substitute the personal appearance in 2021 with an interview exclusively held online via video conference.